These delicious rolls came to us while on a trip to Lisbon, Portugal and The Azores (a set of islands off Portugal’s coast). Our time in Portugal was filled with great food, awesome people, and some amazing Vinho Verde (Read all about it here.) As for the rolls… Yeah, they are just as tasty as they sound!
Ingredients (Makes 1 dozen)
5 cups white bread flour
1 package dry active yeast
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1/8 cup margarine
¾ teaspoon olive oil
2 cups lukewarm water
What You Do
1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the lukewarm water with sugar added.
(can place the bowl in a sink with warm water to stimulate the yeast to develop)
2. Let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Place yeast mixture in large bowl, add 1/2 cup flour to the yeast and mix to make a paste and leave for 45 minutes. Cover with a wet cloth and let sit for about an hour, or until doubled in size. (You will notice bubbles forming in the dough)
4. Pull out the sticky dough and add in your remaining ingredients. Mix well. Then, on a well-floured surface, hand-knead for 10 to 12 minutes, or until smooth. (must not be sticky and must be pliable)
5. Gather in to a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover again the wet cloth and blanket for an hour or until doubled in size.
6. Punch down and then break off 12 portions of dough (about 1/2 cup sized each).
7. On a floured surface, roll each portion into a smooth ball. Size of hamburger rolls.
8. Press down each piece with palm of your hand. Then make a crease in the middle with the side of your hand and fold together. Pinch the ends of dough together. Sprinkle with flour.
9.Place each portion on a cloth, crease down. Cover and let sit in a warm, dry place for about 45 minutes.
10. Have a water mister on hand to help form the crust.
11. Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees. Place rolls (crease up!) on a lightly greased and floured baking sheet – give the oven a heavy a healthy spray of water – 6 or 7 trigger sprays and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven and dust with flour while they cool.
Feel Free To Get Creative
You can add whatever you’d like to these babies once they’re baked but, I love them just the way they are.